Monday, May 01, 2017

On The DL

I recently watched David Lynch: The Art Life, a documentary, narrated by Lynch, about his early years.  How we went from all-American boy to surrealist filmmaker is an odd tale, but there's no denying he's a true artist (meaning someone who has a vision and won't compromise in his efforts to achieve it).

There's never been a director like him.  Even his weakest material is intriguing. So I thought I'd rank his feature films.  He hasn't made a new feature in over ten years--probably due to lack of funds--and perhaps never will again.  But when you think of it, it's amazing someone with so singular a vision completed so many in the first place.

MASTERPIECE

Eraserhead (1977)
Mulholland Drive (2001)

GREAT

Blue Velvet (1986)
Lost Highway (1997)

GOOD

The Elephant Man (1980)
Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me (1992)

OKAY

Wild At Heart (1990)
The Straight Story (1999)

FLAWED

Dune (1984)
Inland Empire (2006)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Denver Guy said...

I just saw The Straight Story, and rewatched Fire Walk With Me. I agree with your rankings, except I thought Straight Story was quite Good. I saw a quote from Lynch where he said Straight Story was his most experimental film (maybe he meant experimental for him).

I still have to see Inland Empire, but right now I'm anticipating the new Twin Peaks. Hope it meets Lynch's standards.

5:57 AM, May 02, 2017  
Blogger LAGuy said...

I guess it's better to have a new Lynch TV project than nothing--and this won't be the first time he's returned to Twin Peaks--but still it seems like he's trying to recapture something from the past when he should be trying something new.

8:33 AM, May 02, 2017  
Blogger New England Guy said...

I am a Twin Peaks fan but I found Fire Walk With Me close to unwatchable. Of course, that's what I thought about Twin Peaks after Bob died.

12:42 PM, May 02, 2017  
Anonymous Denver Guy said...

My second viewing of Fire Walk With Me improved my appreciation of the film. Frankly, I think the first third was the best, with new characters played by Keifer Sutherland and Chris Isaak. The rest was too focused on Laura Palmer (which is not acted very well - probably there was little live focus on her in the TV show).

5:46 AM, May 03, 2017  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter