Tuesday, May 02, 2017

On Record

The biggest record store in Los Angeles has got to be Amoeba, just up the street from where I live.  That's because all the other big record stores--Tower, Virgin, etc.--have shut down.

I walked in recently and there was as sign at the entrance that I'd never seen before:

AMOEBA IS A SAFE PLACE

WE WELCOME YOU

ALL races

ALL religions

ALL countries of origin

ALL sexual orientations

ALL genders

LOVE IS LOVE IS LOVE

We stand with you

You are safe here

The funny thing is, until I read this, I'd never had any reason to doubt I--or anyone else--was welcome at Amoeba.

Now I'm worried.

2 Comments:

Blogger New England Guy said...

My High School "World Cultures" history book from circa 1977 (so probably produced in the early 70s) featured a picture with a similar sign (sort of- they weren't selling records and the font was all in one color) outside a church in South Africa as evidence of popular disapproval of apartheid.

Maybe the owner of the store had the same book in school

12:29 PM, May 02, 2017  
Anonymous Denver Guy said...

If I were conspiracy minded, I would assume this was a code for something.

5:36 AM, May 03, 2017  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter