Monday, October 09, 2017

Nein Nein

One of the my favorite comedies is Brooklyn Nine-Nine.  It doesn't get much recognition--outside Andre Braugher and its stunt work, it's never received an Emmy nomination.  But I don't care (though they might).  As long as it's funny, that's enough.

But it may not be enough for Fox.  Never a ratings juggernaut*, the show has sunk to its lowest ratings yet--the first two episodes of the show are its worst start in any of its five seasons.  The latest episode had under two million viewers and only a 0.6 rating in the coveted 18-49 demo.

Some of this may be due to the fact it's up against one of the hottest shows on TV, This Is Us.  (For comparison, that show's 18-49 demo is five times greater.)

But that's no excuse.  Shows cost more each year, so with low ratings that are moving downward, I get the feeling this may be its last year.  Which means I should either sit back and enjoy what's left, or start a letter-writing campaign.

By the way, Brooklyn Nine-Nine usually ends each season with a cliffhanger.  They might want to wrap it up this time.

*I once used "juggernaut" in an article and the editor changed it to "unstoppable juggernaut." That was pretty annoying.  The whole point of a juggernaut is it's unstoppable.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Denver Guy said...

I did my part and gave Brooklyn 99 an excellent rating in a Nielsen survey.

6:00 AM, October 10, 2017  
Blogger LAGuy said...

I didn't know you were so influential. But it'll still probably be too little too late.

10:38 AM, October 10, 2017  
Anonymous Denver Guy said...

I'm not a Nielsen viewer (where I guess they track everything you watch). Some years ago I received an invite to complete a survey everyday for the first two weeks of the new TV season, and ever since they send it to me starting at the end of Sept. It hardly makes sense anymore, since with streaming, I less and less watch new shows within the first few weeks of airing. I haven't resumed The Middle yet, for example. I half suspect this is a push poll to make sure people are aware of what's new on TV.

6:59 PM, October 10, 2017  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter