Tuesday, October 03, 2017

The Hardest Part

For a while, it looked like Tom Petty was clinging to life. But now it's been confirmed, he has died.

It's funny, I was just talking about Petty over the weekend with friends. Twice, in completely unrelated conversations. (Might have been due to his recent sold out shows at the Hollywood Bowl.)  We talked about how long he'd been around, how much good work he'd done, and what he was doing now.

I'm still pretty shocked. He's another one of those guys it was good to know was still around.

I liked him from the start, but for the first decade or so I thought he kept getting better. I still remember hearing "Mary Jane's Last Dance" (which may be my favorite song of his) and thinking this is like a Dylan song with harmonies by Crosby, Still and Nash and guitar work from Neil Young, yet it sounds completely original.

Anyway, he won't be forgotten.









0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter