Wednesday, October 04, 2017

Could Be Sitcoms

CBS has begun its new season.  It's a network full of old-style police procedurals and sitcoms.  I don't watch the former, but am at least willing to check out the latter.

The new show with the greatest expectations is Big Bang Theory prequel Young Sheldon.  It's all about the exploits of 9-year-old Sheldon Cooper, following the limitations set by the original series.  Sheldon is a young genius being raised in uncongenial Texas.  He's got a religious mom, a father (who I believe will one day leave), a twin sister with a very different temperament and an older brother.

Unlike Big Bang, it's shot one-camera style.  It has a certain charm, but overall isn't much.  The kid is okay, and the mom, played by Zoe Perry, is solid.  I was impressed how they found someone who could be so much like Laurie Metcalf (who plays Sheldon's mom a generation later) until I discovered Metcalf is Perry's mom.

Then there's Me, Myself & I, about one guy at three different times in his life--at 14, 40 and 65.  The idea is somewhat new, but not one I like.  While the stories are supposed to reflect on each other, I like my action set in a well-defined present (with perhaps occasional flashbacks and flashforwards).

Aside from the gimmick, the stories are pretty conventional, as are the jokes.  Further, Bobby Moynihan as the 40-year-old version is the most charming actor with the best story, and I don't like cutting away from him. (And how does he grow into John Larroquette anyway?)

Unlike the other shows, 9JKL is multi-camera.  It's about a divorced actor who moves into an apartment right next to his parents and his brother and sister-in-law.  It's got a good cast, but haven't we seen this show before?  In any case, the plotting and writing seems pretty lame.

So 0 for 3.  Just as well.  I watch too much TV anyway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter