Sunday, September 16, 2018

What Up?

Up The Sandbox (1972) was a rare flop for Barbra Streisand.  And now, having finally seen it, I can understand why.

Back then, Streisand was the biggest female star around, but what the audience wanted were musicals, comedies and romance.  What they didn't want was this weird, surrealist mixture about a bored housewife slipping into fantasies, including a dalliance with Fidel Castro and blowing up the Statue of Liberty with black revolutionaries.

In fact, I'm surprised someone didn't stop her.  She was powerful enough then to pick her own projects, but I'm sure plenty around her knew this wasn't for her--or anyone.  Though it was made in a time when mainstream Hollywood was willing to take chances, so maybe they said why not?

I can see why Streisand was intrigued--it was a chance to deal with issues of the day, particularly the changing place of women.  And Up The Sandbox had its fans--many liked her performance. But the film, directed by Irvin Kershner (who had just made the fascinating but flawed Loving, and would, of course, go on to direct The Empire Strikes Back), is a mess.

Perhaps the novel by Anne Roiphe pulls off the mix of realism and fantasy better, and expresses the political content more smoothly.  But I think this film has to be considered an experiment gone wrong.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What did you think of "Sorry to Bother You"?

4:24 PM, September 16, 2018  
Blogger LAGuy said...

I'm not sure why you're asking me here. And, in general, I only discuss current movies in my annual wrap-up.

But since you asked, while I admire how "Sorry To Bother You" swung for the fences, I didn't think it worked overall, and the last act was just silly.

6:57 PM, September 16, 2018  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nothing more than the surrealism. And I would say "painful" for the last act.

3:29 PM, September 17, 2018  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter