Saturday, November 03, 2018

PO Box

I was looking through Patton Oswalt's Silver Screen Fiend.  It's about the comedian's life in Los  Angels in the 90s.

The book is about various issues in his life, and is worth reading, but the main thing is his addiction to cinema.  He caught films, mostly old ones, all over town on a regular basis.  He even includes an appendix listing everything he saw, from mid-1995 to mid-1999, and where he saw it.  His home base was the New Beverly Cinema (which I posted about two days ago).

I was living in Los Angeles during this period, and not far from the New Beverly.  In fact, I was a regular customer (though nowhere near as regular as Oswalt).  Some of the showings he lists I'm pretty sure I attended.

But I don't remember him. Of course, I didn't know him then--at least not well enough to recognize him, though he was gaining a reputation as a comedian at that point. Too bad.  Sounds like it would have been easy to get to know him.  But then, I'm not the kind of guy to go introduce myself to a fellow film fan. I just sit quietly in the dark, eating my popcorn.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter