Saturday, December 15, 2018

Low Point

There are countless YouTube videos telling you how to pronounce certain words.  Helpful, but there's often more than one proper pronunciation.  Plus, of course, people with different accents say things differently.

I was thinking about that when checking how to say nadir.  I've always preferred to pronounce it like Ralph Nader's last name, though I understand some say "Nah-deer." (Not unlike "fakir."  Both words come from Arabic, I believe.)

Thus, when I checked out YouTube, I was confronted with these choices.







And there are other choices.  I pity people who have to learn to speak English as an adult.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's like being hit by an Acme anvil.

7:23 PM, December 15, 2018  
Blogger brian said...

The Ralph version is the only way I have ever heard (prior to today) to pronounce the low point. If someone said Nah deer, I would assume they were talking about someone's name.

7:48 AM, December 16, 2018  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about "nodder"


I hardly know her!

9:59 AM, December 18, 2018  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter