Tuesday, March 26, 2019

No Longer Walking

Yesterday I blogged about how they kill a lot of characters on Game Of Thrones, but save the most popular.  Someone commented how, the previous night, The Walking Dead killed a whole bunch of its people.  I also saw a headline in The Hollywood Reporter about some "big deaths" on the show. (Spoilers will be unavoidable, so beware.)

So I watched the latest episode.  I vaguely keep up with the show, and from what I've read, even their fan base has been deserting them in the past few years. (Over the past decade, GOT and TWD have arguably been TV's two biggest phenomena.) The show lost Andrew Lincoln, who'd been the lead from the start, and also did a time jump of several years, so in some ways, it's a totally new--and less interesting?--show.

Unlike Game Of Thrones, The Walking Dead is based on a comic book that's far ahead of the TV version.  But, apparently, the show differs in some major points with the comic.  So are they protecting their major characters, just as GOT does? I watched to find out who they killed.

This season, the bad guys are people who walk with the zombies, pretending to be them.  It seems silly to me, but then, this is a post-apocalyptic show about zombies, so is anything silly?  Anyway, the bad guys put a bunch of the good guys' heads on spikes.

At the end of the show, the camera panned along the ten heads and guess what?  I didn't recognize a single face.  I'm sure some of them have been with the show for a while. Perhaps some are fan favorites. But the characters I know (and like)--Daryl, Michonne, Carol, the King, Eugene--are all safe and sound. In fact, a number of them were captured and at the mercy of the bad guys, who let them go for no reason I can figure.

So, if anything, The Walking Dead is even more egregious than Game Of Thrones when it comes to keeping fan favorites alive (as long as they don't demand too much money, I guess).

4 Comments:

Anonymous Denver Guy said...

I had stuck with the series through last season. I had some criticisms, but it was far better than the spin off, Fear the Walking Dead, and I still found it enjoyable. Last season, I thought, ended on the perfect note, with a somewhat optimistic future. If the next season had changed formula, and become a story about how to rebuild society, I would have kept watching. That plot line would not have been too hard - considering that the zombies are really not that much of a threat (the old ones are rotted, and new ones can be prevented simply by spiking corpses through the head before they turn.

Instead, we heard that Rick would be leaving the show, and the prime villain (Negen) would be coming back into favor somehow. I didn't want to watch the same story replayed for really the third time (Negen replaced "The Governor"). I guess it really would have been a challenge to write a good new story tangent, but this show had so much money, I would have tought they could have afforded the necessary writers. Of course, FtWD proved it isn't easy. That show had some good points at first, but then they changed it into TWD West, and didn't even do the old plot lines as well.

So I quit and will remember the show as it ended last season, which was a pretty good run inmho. Same as Scrubs (don't watch season 9).

9:46 AM, March 26, 2019  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Apparently (I learned this online), in the Comic Book, the King (Ezekiel) is one of the heads on the spikes but they opted to keep him alive and kill off Tara (fourth name listed in the credits although to be honest, while I recognized her, I never remembered the character's name) and Brett Butler (who played an annoying old lady) and the Henry, the young kid who has been a major character this season and other major side characters including two pretty young girls. Also- what's up with Maggie (I know she is in a really annoying spy show on ABC)- her character just up and disappeared.

Also as DG points out, the zombies look awful but really don't rot away (I would think eyes would go in couple years at most) NEG

2:42 PM, March 26, 2019  
Blogger LAGuy said...

I think Lauren Cohan, who plays Maggie, like Andrew Lincoln, decided to jump off the sinking ship. Starring in a network series is probably more gratifying financially.

3:53 PM, March 26, 2019  
Anonymous Lawrence King said...

I found the deaths of Tara and Enid significant. I always liked Tara, and in the last episode or two they built up Enid as an interesting character.

Henry was horribly annoying, ever single scene. He was almost as awful as Carl.

Okay, that's going too far. He was 20% as awful as Carl. And that's pretty awful.

5:57 PM, March 27, 2019  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter