Sunday, April 14, 2019

What A Day

December 7th is Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day.  And 9/11 has come to symbolize tragedy in our national lexicon.  So I've often wondered why we don't stop and think for a while on April 14th.

What happened on April 14th?  Oh nothing, except Lincoln was shot.  In 1865, attending a performance of Our American Cousin at Ford's Theatre in Washington, he was shot in the head by John Wilkes Booth.  Booth, an actor, knew the play well, and apparently timed the shot so that it was during one of the plays biggest laughs.

I realize Lincoln is honored in many other ways, but I'm a bit surprised we don't have a moment of silence on April 14th, or flags at half mast.

By the way, if that's not bad enough, April 14th is also the day Titanic stuck an iceberg.

5 Comments:

Blogger brian said...

The play went late, he was shot after 10pm.

1:21 PM, April 14, 2019  
Blogger brian said...

https://vaviper.blogspot.com/2015/04/abraham-lincoln-was-assassinated-150.html?m=1

2:00 PM, April 14, 2019  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

July 4, Dec 25, Jan 1, Dec 7, Sept 11.

Kind of sad that Sept 11 is in there, but I don't think we should worry. It's already fading away.

I suppose the interesting thing is how Pearl Harbor has held on for so long. I think people must not like the Japs.

2:48 AM, April 15, 2019  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Remember the Maine.

9:29 AM, April 15, 2019  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find that offensive. I also remember Vermont, though I do struggle with New Hampshire.

2:12 AM, April 16, 2019  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter