Monday, February 17, 2020

CC In The Mix

As readers know, I tend to watch TV with the CC on. (Except for live shows, where the CC gets so far behind it's painful.) I was recently watching the undistinguished comedy The Tunnel Of Love (1958), starring Doris Day, Richard Widmark and Gig Young. (The same year Day and Young appeared in a far better comedy, Teacher's Pet.) In it, there was an amusing error.

Widmark needs a thousand dollars from next-door neighbor Young.  Young replies "You couldn't squeeze a thousand buck out of me if you put me in a Waring mixer." Except the CC typist heard this as "You couldn't squeeze a thousands bucks out of me if you put me in a whirring mixer."

It's not an obscure reference.  The Waring blender has been around a long time, and was well-known enough to be cited in Warren Zevon's 1970s song "Poor, Poor Pitiful Me."

She really worked me over good
She was a credit to her gender
She put me through some changes, Lord
Sort of like a Waring blender

(When Linda Ronstadt recorded the song she changed the gender but kept the rhyme.)

I just checked and Waring blenders are still widely available.  So why didn't the CC person know about them?

PS  In another line, Richard Widmark refers to his next-door neighbor "Bill Paxton." Every now and then you hear a famous name in an old movie before the name was famous.  I recently saw another film from the 50s referencing "Chris Farley." And another where a character introduced himself as "Don Adams."

2 Comments:

Blogger New England Guy said...

Always chuckled in Mr. Smith Goes to Washington at the vile corruption personified by the James Taylors of the world.

9:48 AM, February 17, 2020  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm watching An American In Paris right now. Gene Kelly plays expatriate American Jerry Mulligan. The movie came out in 1951, just as sound-alike jazz musician Gerry Mulligan was starting to make a name for himself. I wonder how he enjoyed the movie.

Leslie Caron plays Lise Bouvier. That last name would be famous in a few years.

4:06 PM, February 17, 2020  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter