Friday, July 10, 2020

Better?

Lately I've heard a number of people say Better Call Saul is superior to Breaking Bad.  Now here's an article in Variety making the claim:

[The great cast has] has made "Better Call Saul" the "Godfather II" or "Empire Strikes Back" of its time: A sequel that matches, or even surpasses, its originator.

I do enjoy BCS, but I don't think it's anywhere near as good as Breaking Bad. So why do people claim it is?  I know they'd say their argument is based on the show, but my guess is it's happening now, and an ongoing drama (with many of the same characters) is just more exciting than an old story you don't watch any more.

By the way, I prefer A New Hope to Empire and the first Godfather to the second.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Denver Guy said...

How about Star Trek: Wrath of Kahn to Star Trek: the Motion Picture?

7:09 PM, July 11, 2020  
Blogger LAGuy said...

Most of the sequels are superior to Star Trek: The Motion Picture. I think you'd got to start with something good to make the comparison meaningful.

7:50 PM, July 11, 2020  
Blogger New England Guy said...

It was called "Star Wars" This New Hope nonsense needs to be tramped down

8:18 AM, July 12, 2020  
Blogger LAGuy said...

I called it A New Hope just so there was no confusion, since all the movies are called Star Wars. But I think you have a point.

1:33 PM, July 12, 2020  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter