Friday, September 18, 2020

SC

Let's say goodbye to Stanley Crouch, one of the great jazz and social critics of the day. (I'd link to him, but the new template makes it almost impossible to do anything.  Why a new template was created that makes everything worse I cannot understand.  I also don't seem to be able to embed a photo.)

He could be a grouchy voice, and was tough to please, but I always looked forward to reading him in the Village Voice.  (At least I can put things in italics.)

While he fought passionately for civil rights, he was a rare African-American writer who wasn't afraid to take on other prominent African-Americans.  He couldn't be cowed.  And--I always assumed it was the jazz fan in him--he hated gangsta rap.  (For that matter, he was a purist who hated most modern jazz.)

In an age when so much social criticism seems shallow and ill-considered, it's sad to see the passing of someone who truly challenged his readers.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like they are working on the images and video problems. Sure is stupid to release a template where image and video was apparently not tested.

https://support.google.com/blogger/thread/70602268?hl=en

5:37 AM, September 18, 2020  
Blogger LAGuy said...

I'll believe it when I see it.

10:09 AM, September 18, 2020  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The lesson of big tech- all upgrades are downgrades

5:05 AM, September 19, 2020  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter