Wednesday, July 02, 2008

How You Gonna Find 100?

Here's an interesting list: VH1's 100 Greatest Songs Of The 90s.

Can't argue with #1--Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit." Then they lose me for a while. The rest of the top ten are all big hits, but there really isn't one I love until R.E.M.'s "Losing My Religion" at #9.

To be fair, I like this list better than the one they did for the 80s. I admit I enjoy a lot of the dumb songs of the era, including "Baby Got Back," "...Baby One More Time" (prefer "Oops!...I Did It Again"--did that make the deadline?), "U Can't Touch This," "Mr. Jones," "Creep," "Gonna Make You Sweat (Everybody Dance Now)," "Mama Said Knock You Out," "Groove Is In The Heart," "Gettin' Jiggy Wit It," "I'm Too Sexy," "Insane In The Brain," "Linger" and "Unbelievable."

Without apology, I also like such songs as "Under the Bridge," "Enter Sandman," "Loser," "My Name Is," "Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)" (though Green Day did much better--they often don't pick my favorite from the artists), "Two Princes" (now there's a disappearing act), "O.P.P.," "Buddy Holly," "All I Wanna Do," "The Humpty Dance," "Tennessee," "It Was a Good Day," "Mind Playing Tricks on Me" and "Cannonball."

Could have been a lot worse, especially considering what was available.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter