Thursday, September 11, 2008

Post Post Post

I hate to sound condescending, but since it's toward a law professor, I hope you'll forgive me.

I was struck by this David Post piece over at the Volokh Conspiracy:

I used to think that I (like everyone else) basically understood the story of the Emperor's New Clothes. It wasn't until I re-read the original story a couple of months ago, though, that I actually got it. [....] what I hadn't understood was: why did the King walk around naked in the first place? Why did he think he had clothes on? The answer is that two tailors had come to town and convinced everyone that they made clothing with special magic attached to it; the magic was that the clothing was invisible to stupid people.

Yeah, that's right, and I believe that's the story as just about everybody already understands it, without any rereading.

3 Comments:

Blogger New England Guy said...

Maybe he should take another look at the Three Billygoats Gruff.

7:55 AM, September 11, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think at the debates we should ask both candidates to explain the moral of "The Three Little Pigs."

9:26 AM, September 11, 2008  
Blogger LAGuy said...

That's a good story, but I already pointed to the most relevant fable in yesterday's post "Another Country Heard From."

It's the "who will help me eat the bread" story, which I believe is about the Little Red Hen.

12:18 PM, September 11, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter