Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Present The Present

I liked (not loved) the second-season premiere of Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles. One statement by show creator Josh Friedman gave me pause, though:

Last year we were establishing the world and the rules of the world and bringing people up to speed. This year, we have a bigger budget, so we can give viewers more sense of the place and Los Angeles. We have some really cool action sequences and show more of the future sequences where the Terminators have completely taken over.

Bigger budget? Fine, as long as you don't think the show is only about action. But try to keep thing in the "present." We need as little (none would be fine) stuff set in the terminator future as possible. Even in the movies those scenes were mostly down time.

3 Comments:

Blogger VermontGuy said...

I like it, too. This episode was pretty quick, with lots of ground to cover - in case people were coming on it cold - and Cameron's very unTerminator-like meltdown certainly raises some back story questions about her programming.

Why do I think that in some future episode we're going to find out whether Terminators are um, anatomically correct?

I agree, the future should be left out of it as much as possible (especially since that seems to be where they're going in the next movie).

Besides, I can't wait until the next series comes out: Obominator: The Sarah Palin Chronicles.

5:51 AM, September 10, 2008  
Blogger QueensGuy said...

(geek) I believe the phrase Commander Data used was 'fully functional." (/geek)

11:32 AM, September 10, 2008  
Blogger VermontGuy said...

(geek) I believe the phrase Commander Data used was 'fully functional." (/geek)

You are correct, sir! I guess I was confusing it with the whole Ken/Barbie thing...

11:55 AM, September 10, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter