Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Congratulations

Well, it's over. I'm sure at this point most of the participants are still in a state of shock - and possibly a bit hungover. As I write this, Barack Obama is credited with 52% of the popular vote and 339 electoral votes. Maybe not a landslide but pretty convincing, just the same.

There will be no questions in the history books about who really won this election.

Without argument, it is a good thing that America can elect a black man (or bi-racial, if you will) to the highest office in the land. From that standpoint, it is my hope that people will look at this and see the realization of the American Dream: that anyone, from any background can, in this country, aspire to achieve and become whatever they want. The pillars which support America - Freedom, Opportunity and the Power of the Individual - remain firmly in place and will hopefully remain so for centuries to come.

So, to Barack Obama and his supporters: Congratulations on a job well done. You ran a great campaign and motivated people to engage in the political process in quantities never seen before. Be sure to take at least a few moments and savor what you've accomplished. There is much hard work ahead and with such tremendous expectations, I fear your honeymoon will be a short one.

For John McCain and Sarah Palin, congratulations on a hard fought, if not particularly well-managed, campaign. Without being able to leverage the support of a sitting President, it was an uphill battle and one that couldn't defeat a charismatic candidate and the twin mantras of hope and change. McCain will finish out his term in the Senate and after that, who knows? Certainly, he's earned a rest and whether he retires or not, his legacy of service to his country is secure.

For Sarah Palin, the future looks quite bright. She has emerged from this campaign as a star in the making, showing resilience and grace under pressure, and creating excitement in the populace second only to Obama himself. She will be a force to be reckoned with on the conservative side for many years to come and should she decide to run for President in 2012 or 2016, I would definitely support her.

For the rest of us, it's time to take a few deep breaths and decompress a little. In Vermont today it's going to be 60 degrees. Maybe a last chance to throw open the windows and enjoy a gentle breeze until next spring. The first snowfall is not far away. Thanksgiving, and a trip south to visit family is on the horizon. I can smell the turkey already.

For today, at least, I'm going to remember that there are other things besides politics to think - and talk - about.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A gracious comment, VermontGuy. I have to admit, as I saw the Vermont numbers (66-32?) last night, I thought of you fighting a lonely battle there, and I sympathized.

An Obama Supporter who can nonetheless appreciate what it takes to be a conservative in Vermont.

6:47 AM, November 05, 2008  
Blogger VermontGuy said...

Always outnumbered, never outgunned - that's me. :)

I like to think of Vermont as the state of Arrested Development. There are so many 50+ men with gray pony tales that I have this secret urge to carry around a pair of scissors, come up behind them and go snip-snip and say "Grow the f**k up, already!"

Mostly, I keep my mouth shut and my thoughts to myself.

7:07 AM, November 05, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well then, thank God for Pajama Guy giving you an outlet!

2:00 PM, November 05, 2008  
Blogger VermontGuy said...

Well, I do have my own blog here. But I don't do a whole lot of political blogging there.

And I'm very pleased that the Pajama Guys have allowed me to share my thoughts with them. Posting here definitely keeps me on my toes.

3:39 PM, November 05, 2008  
Blogger QueensGuy said...

Great post, VG. I've very much appreciated your perspectives and opinions on this election. Thank you.

Oh, and totally agreed about the pony tails. Who was the comedian who joked about them pulling the old guys' foreheads backward?

4:29 PM, November 05, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter