Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Late State

The results are in and to no one's surprise, Saxby Chambliss of Georgia has been reelected Senator.

Before the election, I wrote against early voting. Now that it's over, I find I don't like runoffs for the same reason. States are allowed to set up the voting system they prefer, but there's something unseemly when elections that affect the nation get decided on a different day from everything else. Such a runoff is like allowing someone a late bid at an auction--we should all be in this together.

7 Comments:

Blogger New England Guy said...

Voting all at the same time is, I think, like Thanksgiving as a national holiday, something that feels like an ancient tradition but is something that only goes back less than 100 years.

5:58 AM, December 03, 2008  
Blogger LAGuy said...

I think you'll see the idea of deciding certain national things on the same day is in the Constitution, even if it's been expressed differently through the years.

10:14 AM, December 03, 2008  
Blogger New England Guy said...

Oh I see.... the meaning evolved.

10:33 AM, December 03, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like runoffs because I don't like the idea of a plurality getting to impose their preference on the majority.

10:37 AM, December 03, 2008  
Blogger LAGuy said...

So you would have liked a Presidential runoff in 200, 1996, 1992, 1968, 1960, 1948, etc.?

10:54 AM, December 03, 2008  
Blogger LAGuy said...

I think New England Guy is trying to make some sort of point in his second comment, but for the life of me I don't know what it is. Considering it took decades before all the states allowed a popular vote for President, of course Consitutional ideas of how to run elections have been expressed differently through the years.

11:04 AM, December 03, 2008  
Blogger New England Guy said...

Only that the Constitution means different things at different times under different circumstances.

3:00 PM, December 03, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter