Monday, November 09, 2009

Question Of The Day

A debate on the usefulness of the Catholic Church, broadcast (I think) on the BBC, is now up on YouTube. This is the sort of debate where listeners have strong feelings, which usually means no one's mind is changed.

Nevertheless, I'd rather people debate these points than fight over them. The day our enemies allow this sort of debate is the day we'll be a lot closer to a peacerful world. Unfortunately, if anything, the trend seems to be in the opposite direction.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The arguments were, of necessity, pretty shallow. I think the audience pretended to change their minds at the end. From the reactions along the way, it seems they were already set.

9:05 AM, November 09, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those debates only work if the religious/ideological side doesn't take the religious stuff seriously- otherwise it makes perfect sense to slay the unbelievers and perform all manner of destruction in furtherance of the greater good

12:26 PM, November 09, 2009  
Anonymous Lawrence King said...

Since I myself take religion seriously and yet don't slay unbelievers, I must disagree with Anonymous # 2.

I agree it was shallow, but sadly that fate was inevitable the moment the host introduced the debate with the cliche of "hopefully we will have more light than heat". That's second only to "nature versus nurture" on the list of cliches that I detest....

(and yet I don't wan't to slay those who use these cliches! I guess I'm very tolerant.)

6:39 PM, November 09, 2009  
Blogger LAGuy said...

As cliches go, I think the light versus heat one is pretty good.

I think in these sorts of debates, you either have to accept for the argument that the religion isn't true, or concentrate solely on the real-world consequences of the religion under question.

7:12 PM, November 09, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter