Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Back To Reality

Simon Cowell has been threatening to leave American Idol, and now it's happened. He'll stay around for one more season, then leave for the apparently similar X Factor.

Simon was the most important member of the AI team. I'm not saying he can't be replaced--the concept is still central--but I can't imagine the show will be the same without him. From the other side, I can't imagine he'll ever be on as big a show as he is now; AI was by far the biggest hit of the past decade.

But AI, while still #1, is on a downward arc. Perhaps Simon figured he should go while he can still get a great deal. Furthermore, as the show continues to sink, he can claim it's because he left.

The previous season of AI was its eighth, and the first I didn't watch regularly. I'm not sure how I feel about this new season. Should I watch it for Simon? Actually, it's just as much about how exciting the singers are.

Actually, it doesn't really matter. Once Lost starts, I'm gone anyway.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought the first show was pretty good, though Ellen isn't there yet.

8:41 AM, January 13, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter