Friday, January 15, 2010

We Must Destroy The Film To Save It

James Cameron's Avatar has been attacked as anti-American. Here's something he said about that before an applauding crowd at the ArcLight Theatre (about a mile from where I type).

"I've heard people say this film is un-American, while part of being an American is having the freedom to have dissenting ideas."

Perhaps there's more to this argument, but as it stands it's a non-sequitur. Imagine saying "I hate America, it's the worst country in the world, and since part of being an American is having the freedom to express myself, that means I'm not un-American."

I commented on this point back in the old days when people were saying dissent is patriotic.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well yes both sides are deliberately talking past each other here.

Dissent in and of itself is not anti-American and the right to express dissent is a treasured American value. On the other hand the content of any such dissent can be anti-American or at least people can argue over whether it is or not. I

8:25 AM, January 15, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter