Tuesday, May 09, 2017

Not So Fast

Some things change, some things never do.  High School is the same for today's generation as it was for the previous generation, and the one before that.  Except the machinery is different.

Anyway, that's what I was thinking while recently watching Fast Times At Ridgemont High (1982).  I don't consider it the classic other do, though it's got some good scenes, and Sean Penn is great.

And then came the moment where Mister Hand passes out his test, and all the students stop to smell the paper.  When I first saw the film in a theatre, it got a nice laugh--we all remembered the smell of fresh mimeograph.

I have to wonder, though, how it will play today to anyone born since the movie came out. They'll know something is going on, but I assume they'll just be confused.  What's going on with the paper?  Why are the kids acting so weird?

4 Comments:

Blogger New England Guy said...

Interesting -When you watch the old Our Gang or Little Rascals, do things tend to throw you. I didn't understand the music they liked but I felt like I understood most of it. Or even the stuff from the 50s and 60s (My 3 Sons and the Beav)- it kind of is interesting in time of so much relative plenty, the people seem poor by today's standards.

Speaking of which I have never seen Fast Times at Ridgemont High

1:53 PM, May 09, 2017  
Blogger LAGuy said...

I remember wondering something when watching The Little Rascals (the syndicated TV version of the old Our Gang comedies). They would go out to the movies and listen to the radio, but they never watched TV. I couldn't understand it--how could they be in a TV show and not have TV in their houses?

9:08 PM, May 09, 2017  
Blogger yanmaneee said...

moncler jackets
pure boost
lebron 15
hermes belts for men
adidas yeezy
golden goose
curry 5
kevin durant shoes
calvin klein outlet
nike off white

1:51 AM, May 23, 2018  
Blogger yanmaneee said...

fila shoes
golden goose outlet
michael kors outlet
nike shoes
jordan 4
supreme
kyrie 5
golden goose outlet
adidas yeezy
nike shox

8:53 PM, May 06, 2019  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter