Saturday, December 23, 2017

Has It Been A Decade Already?

Every year, my friend Jesse Walker lists his top ten films...for previous decades ending in the same number as the current one.

He's just put up his top ten for the year 2007.  Here tis:

1. No Country for Old Men
2. My Winnipeg
3. Imaginationland
4. The Savages
5. I'm Not There
6. The Simpsons Movie
7. A Girl Cut in Two
8. Eastern Promises
9. Michael Clayton
10. Vogue/300

No Country For Old Men is a rare case of Jesse agreeing with the Oscars.  It'd make my list, though the film has serious third-act problems.

My Winnipeg would also make my top ten.  I still don't know how much of it is true.

Imaginationland is from South Park, and as such shouldn't be on this list. (It's okay, by the way, but not great.)

The Savages has decent performances, but not a great story.

I'm Not There is an offbeat, kaleidoscopic, fictionalized look at Dylan.  Some parts work better than others.  I don't know anyone who didn't love the Cate Blanchett stuff.

The Simpsons Movie is a lot of fun. The show was getting tired at this point (and they're still doing it today), but they put it together for this movie.  (I do know some of the people who worked on this film, but that didn't effect my judgment.)

A Girl Cut In Two (I thought it was called The Girl Cut In Two) is Chabrol doing Hitchcock, which is generally a good thing.

Eastern Promises I liked, though not sure if it would make my top ten.

Michael Clayton didn't it for me. A decent premise, but I found it false and flat.

"Vogue/300" is a video commenting on certain aspects of 300.  Jesse knows I don't think shorts should go on these lists.  And if you want to list shorts, two of the most important of the century were released in 2007--"Charlie Bit My Finger" and "2 Girls 1 Cup."

Here are his honorable mentions

11. Off the Grid
12. The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
13. Encounters at the End of the World
14. One Night in One City
15. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
16. Confessions of a Superhero
17. 3:10 to Yuma
18. In My Language
19. What Will Come
20. The Bourne Ultimatum

Didn't see 11 and 14 and haven't even heard of 18 and 19.  12 is a film I truly hate--arty and pretentious in the worst way, not to mention horribly slow. I don't understand its cult.  13 is a Herzog documentary, which are better these days than his fictional stuff.  15 would probably make my top ten.  16 I caught part of on TV and found pretty interesting.  As for 17, I'm not a big fan of the 1957 version (will that make Jesse's list?) but the 2007 version I like even less.  20 turned Matt Damon into an action star but I didn't go for it.

Other films that would probably make my top ten:

4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days (one of the most excruciating films I've ever seen)

Enchanted

Juno

The King Of Kong: A Fistful Of Quarters

Persepolis

Ratatouille

Superbad (comedy of the century so far?)

Other films I liked:

Across The Universe (the first half), Anita O'Day: The Life Of A Jazz Singer,  The Darjeeling Limited (didn't think much of it at first, but it's dated well), Grindhouse (half), Helvetica, I Am Legend, Into The Wild (though no classic), Knocked Up (even if implausible), The Lookout, The Mist, Next (the first act), Starter For 10, Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber Of Fleet Street (though not as good as the stage version), Waitress

Other films of interest:

Alpha Dog, Miss Potter, Stomp The Yard, The Hitcher, The Painted Veil, Epic Movie, Smokin’ Aces, Because I Said So, Hannibal Rising, Music And Lyrics, Breach, Bridge To Terabithia, The Astronaut Farmer, The Number 23, Black Snake Moan, Wild Hogs, Zodiac, I Think I Love My Wife, Premonition, The Last Mimzy, The Hills Have Eyes 2, Reign Over Me, Shooter, TMNT, Blades Of Glory, Meet The Robinsons, Are We Done Yet?, Firehouse Dog, The Reaping, The Hoax, Disturbia, Perfect Stranger, Redline, Vacancy, Kickin’ It Old Skool, Lucky You, Spider-Man 3, 28 Weeks Later, Georgia Rule, The Ex, Shrek The Third, Big, Pirates Of The Carribean: At World’s End, Mr. Brooks, Ocean’s Thirteen, Fantastic Four: Rise Of The Silver Surfer, Nancy Drew, 1408, Evan Almighty, A Mighty Heart, Live Free Or Die Hard, Sicko, License To Wed, Tranformers, Rescue Dawn, Joshua, Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix, Interview, Talk To Me, Hairspray, I Now Pronounce You Chuch & Larry, Sunshine, I Know Who Killed Me, No Reservations, Becoming Jane, Bratz, Hot Rod, Daddy Day Camps, Rush Hour 3, Stardust, The Invasion, Mr. Bean’s Holiday, The Nanny Diaries, Resurrecting The Champ, War, Balls Of Fury, Halloween,
The Brothers Solomon, Shoot ‘Em Up, The Brave One, In The Valley Of Elah, Mr. Woodcock, Good Luck Chuck, Resident Evil: Extinction, The Jane Austen Book Club, The Kingdom, The Heartbreak Kid, Elizabeth: The Golden Age, Why Did I Get Married?, We Own The Night, Lars And The Real Girl, 30 Days Of Night, The Comebacks, Gone Baby Gone, Rendition, The Ten Commandments, Dan In Real Life, Saw IV, American Gangster, Bee Movie, Martian Child, Fred Claus, Lions For Lambs, Beowulf, Love In The Time Of Cholera, Mr. Magorium’s Wonder Emporium, August Rush, Hitman, Awake, Atonement, The Golden Compass, Alvin And The Chipmunks, Charlie Wilson’s War, National Treasure: Book Of Secrets, PS I Love You, Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story, Alien vs. Predator: Requiem, The Water Horse, The Bucket List, There Will Be Blood, Once, The 11th Hour, 88 Minutes, Albert Fish, American The Beautiful, Before The Devil Knows You’re Dead, Blue State, The Cake Eaters, Death At A Funeral, Ghost Rider, Grace Is Gone, Happily N’Ever After, Hot Fuzz, Margot At The Wedding, My Kid Could Paint That, Rocket Science, Run Fatboy Run, Sleuth, Towelhead, Underdog, Who’s Your Caddy?, Year Of The Dog, Youth Without Youth, Zoo

11 Comments:

Blogger Jesse said...

For the record: Imaginationland was edited into a DVD-only feature-length film, so I think it *does* qualify for these lists by your rules Though the DVD didn't come out til 2008, so perhaps you'd say I was a year to early.

The two you haven't heard of are a short and a video installation, so I think you'd disqualify them.

8:01 AM, December 23, 2017  
Blogger LAGuy said...

I'm very strict. If something appears on TV first, it shouldn't be on a movie list. The Academy agrees with me, by the way. (I had an earlier comment saying the same thing that I deleted by mistake, by the way.)

11:02 AM, December 23, 2017  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm surprised Knocked Up didn't make anyone's top ten list. It's a great comedy that was a big hit and was well reviewed by critics. It also features about every major comedy star of the past decade.

11:06 AM, December 23, 2017  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is this the only time the Academy agreed with Jesse Walker?

11:13 PM, December 23, 2017  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You must have thought something about Rocket Science . . .

5:44 AM, December 24, 2017  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"[Knocked Up] features about every major comedy star of the past decade."

And Katherine Heigl.

6:49 AM, December 24, 2017  
Blogger Jesse said...

Is this the only time the Academy agreed with Jesse Walker?

No: I also gave #1 spots to The Apartment, The Godfather, and...oh, not to give anything away, but I just might find myself in accord with them when our series hits the '70s this year.

6:52 AM, December 24, 2017  
Blogger LAGuy said...

I'm surprised anyone recognized Rocket Science. I didn't particularly love that film, but when I added it to the list, I was reminded of how odd it was.

11:26 AM, December 24, 2017  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What about Casablanca?

12:46 PM, December 24, 2017  
Blogger Jesse said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

1:56 PM, December 24, 2017  
Blogger Jesse said...

What about Casablanca?

Casablanca made it to #4.

1:57 PM, December 24, 2017  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter