Monday, December 04, 2017

Soul Brothers

Not too long ago I ranked the fourteen songs on Revolver.  Now I figured I'd do the same for another mid-60s masterpiece from the Beatles, Rubber Soul, which happened to be released on a December 3rd.

This is the full-length British version, of course, not the emaciated American album I grew up with.

1.   Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)
2.   Nowhere Man
3.   The Word
4.   Michelle
5.   Wait
6.   I'm Looking Through You
7.   Drive My Car
8.   In My Life
9.   You Won't See Me
10. If I Needed Someone
11. Think For Yourself
12. Girl (which made the "Red' collection of greatest hits, though I have no idea why)
13. Run For Your Life
14. What Goes On

6 Comments:

Anonymous Lawrence King said...

Many wonderful covers of Beatles songs have been recorded.

This version of "You Won't See Me" is not one of them, however.

9:06 PM, December 05, 2017  
Anonymous Lawrence King said...

I always confuse "Girl" with "Run For Your Life". (And why hasn't John Lennon's name been removed from some building because of that song?)

9:11 PM, December 05, 2017  
Anonymous Lawrence King said...

I agree with your placing "Norwegian Wood" at the top. I'd follow it with "I'm Looking Through You", then "In My Life" and "Michelle". After that there aren't any real stand-outs. The album as a whole is consistently pleasant without any heavy rocking.

RFYL is actually a great song if you can ignore the lyrics. The syncopated rhythm is really cool.

9:15 PM, December 05, 2017  
Blogger LAGuy said...

You don't consider "Nowhere Man" a standout? It was a worldwide hit.

And say what you want about Anne Murray, her version of that song made the top ten.

10:18 PM, December 05, 2017  
Anonymous Lawrence King said...

Nah. "Nowhere Man" and "Fool on the Hill" seem clever when you're in junior high, and then you realize they don't really say anything. And they're both dreary.

Besides, everything the Beatles did was a hit back in the mid-60s.

11:30 PM, December 05, 2017  
Anonymous Lawrence King said...

And if you are appealing to the axiom "X was a huge hit and sold a lot of records, therefore it's good", then let the record show that I reject that axiom in its entirety.

Hear and read.

11:35 PM, December 05, 2017  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter