Monday, September 17, 2018

If I Ran The Zoo

The Emmys are tonight.  I'm not going to try to guess who will win, but I'll tell you whom I'd vote for if anyone allowed me to.


Outstanding Comedy Series
 
Atlanta

Barry
Black-ish
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Glow
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
Silicon Valley
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
Intriguing season of Atlanta, though the show isn't always a comedy.  Didn't see season of Mrs. Maisel.  Most of the others pretty good, but for laughs I guess I'd go with Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt (which has no chance of winning).  I'd pick The Good Place if I were allowed a write-in.
 
Outstanding Drama Series

The Americans
The Crown
Game of Thrones
The Handmaid’s Tale
Stranger Things
This Is Us
Westworld
Three of these I haven't seen.  I love Game Of Thrones, though it was a weak season.  This Is Us was okay, but not as good as its first season.  Guess I'll go with Stranger Things, which was nice to have back.

Lead Actor in a Limited Series or Movie

Antonio Banderas, Genius: Picasso
Darren Criss, The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story
Benedict Cumberbatch, Patrick Melrose
Jeff Daniels, The Looming Tower
John Legend, Jesus Christ Superstar
Jesse Plemons, Black Mirror: USS Callister
Easy choice--Plemons cracked me up doing his imitation of Shatner, yet was a truly creepy, even terrifying character.

Lead Actor in a Comedy Series

Anthony Anderson, Black-ish
Ted Danson, The Good Place
Larry David, Curb Your Enthusiasm
Donald Glover, Atlanta
Bill Hader, Barry
William H. Macy, Shameless
I love Danson (though is he a lead?).  Donald Glover did some amazing stuff.  But I might go with Hader, who was quite memorable playing a character who couldn't express himself well.

Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series

Brian Tyree Henry, Atlanta
Henry Winkler, Barry
Louie Anderson, Baskets
Alec Baldwin, Saturday Night Live
Kenan Thompson, Saturday Night Live
Tony Shalhoub, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
Tituss Burgess, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
Excellent category.  It comes down to Henry Winkler, who shows he hasn't lost a step, and Brian Tyree Henry, who was the best thing (arguably the lead) in Atlanta.  Think I'll go with Tyree Henry.  (Have to include "Tyree" or you wouldn't be sure which one I'm referring to.)

Lead Actress in a Comedy Series

Pamela Adlon, Better Things
Rachel Brosnahan, The Marvelous Ms, Maisel

Allison Janney, Mom
Issa Rae, Insecure
Tracee Ellis Ross, Black-ish
Lily Tomlin, Grace and Frankie
Brosnahan, even though I've only seen stuff from season 1.  She's that good.

Supporting Actress In A Comedy Series

Zazie Beetz, Atlanta
Laurie Metcalf, Roseanne
Betty Gilpin, Glow
Aidy Bryant, Saturday Night Live
Leslie Jones, Saturday Night Live
Kate McKinnon, Saturday Night Live
Alex Borstein, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
Megan Mullally, Will & Grace
As much as McKinnon dominates SNL, I'd go with Betty Gilpin, who stands out in a solid ensemble.

Lead Actor in a Drama Series

Jason Bateman, Ozark
Matthew Rhys, The Americans
Sterling K. Brown, This Is Us
Milo Ventimiglia, This Is Us
Ed Harris, Westworld
Jeffrey Wright, Westworld
I guess Sterling K. Brown, who has created a truly memorable character.

Supporting Actor in a Drama Series

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Game of Thrones
Peter Dinklage, Game of Thrones
Mandy Patinkin, Homeland
David Harbour, Stranger Things
Matt Smith, The Crown
Joseph Fiennes, The Handmaid’s Tale
Mandy Patinkin deserves it for years of fine work on Homeland.

Lead Actress in a Drama Series

Sandra Oh, Killing Eve
Tatiana Maslany, Orphan Black
Keri Russell, The Americans
Claire Foy, The Crown
Elisabeth Moss, The Handmaid’s Tale
Evan Rachel Wood, Westworld

Actually, the only one I've seen this year is Wood.  She's good (on a ridiculous show) but can't choose without seeing at least most of them.
Supporting Actress in a Drama Series


Lena Headey, Game of Thrones
Millie Bobby Brown, Stranger Things
Vanessa Kirby, The Crown
Ann Dowd, The Handmaid’s Tale
Yvonne Strahovski, The Handmaid’s Tale
Alexis Bledel, The Handmaid’s Tale
Thandie Newton, Westworld
Once again, haven't seen Handmaid or Crown so can't choose.  Headey is good, if not her best season. Brown is memorable, but not as exciting as first season.  Newton is solid but I thought her part was sort of silly.

Outstanding Variety Sketch Series

At Home with Amy Sedaris
Drunk History
I Love You America with Sarah Silverman
Portlandia
Saturday Night Live
Tracey Ullman’s Show
Guess I'll go with SNL, even if their batting average is low.

Outstanding Variety Talk Series

The Daily Show with Trevor Noah
Full Frontal with Samantha Bee
Jimmy Kimmel Live
Last Week Tonight with John Oliver
The Late Late Show with James Corden
The Late Show with Stephen Colbert
How do you like your Trump attacks, relentless or even more relentless?  Guess I'll go with Corden simply because of Carpool Karaoke with Paul McCartney.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Lawrence King said...

At least the McCartney episode had no overt Trump attacks. Of course, there were bits of dialogue ("in these dark times, we need your music more than ever") that sent a clear message: whereas the Beatles had originally made music in sunny, open, democratic times like 1968, today their music is needed to counter a tyrant so tyrannical that nobody dares to say anything negative about him or his tyranthood, except for comedians on television and people on Facebook and others.

1:43 PM, September 17, 2018  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like that. If I were Trump I would release an autobiography, "A Tyrant So Tyrannical."

3:32 PM, September 17, 2018  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG. The captha verify has gone to a deeper level of interactive: When you select a matching image, it disappears and a new image appears, which may also match. I had to click on about a dozen images to pass.

So, I think you've read my last comment. Google is testing to see how far I'll go. I hope their algorithm can predict when I'll start making Molotov cocktails.

3:34 PM, September 17, 2018  
Blogger LAGuy said...

Sorry, I have no control. I wouldn't have any verification except when we did that we got tons of bots commenting.

6:03 PM, September 17, 2018  
Anonymous Lawrence King said...

Anonymous, it's been doing that to me for a while. Sometimes it does that, sometimes it does one (or two) discrete screens, and sometimes it lets me through with no test.

My favorites are the ones where it's ambiguous (does "check everything with a vehicle" include the square with a tiny bit of a tire?) And why is it so enamored of storefronts?

I think it's some kind of alien software parasite testing for intelligent life. Hopefully we will pass the test.

6:43 PM, September 17, 2018  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter