Saturday, July 25, 2020

Spring Back

I just watched Palm Springs, the new comedy starring Andy Samberg.  If these were normal times I would have seen it in a theatre.  Instead, I watched it on a streaming service.

I recommend the movie.  It's a Groundhog Day plot, with Samberg waking up every morning in the same situation.  The main question is what sort of twists will they give to this familiar story.  I won't give any away--see it for yourself.

What I want to talk about it how, since it was streaming, I had a button I could push that would send the movie back 20 seconds.  Whenever I missed a line, I'd push the button so I could hear it clearly.  A few times I pushed the button more than once.

And it hit me--I was reenacting the movie.  There's poor Andy Samberg, stuck in a time loop.  And I was just making it worse.  Or was I stuck in the same time loop, seeing the same footage over and over?  At least I had control.

Maybe it would be better if I didn't have that button.  At the cinema, if you miss a line you miss it.  That continuous experience may be the best way to watch a film.

3 Comments:

Blogger brian said...

True confessions here sometimes I push the button forward. Am I giving the characters in my movies progeria?

5:23 AM, July 25, 2020  
Blogger LAGuy said...

How do you know if you're missing something good?

10:07 AM, July 25, 2020  
Anonymous Lawrence King said...

I use the "back" button or equivalents a lot.

I also turn on captions when dialogue is hard to parse.... but other times it's distracting.

Amazon Prime not only has captions, it also will tell you who the characters are in a scene if you click on the left part of the window. Wolf Hall was six hours long, and it probably took me ten hours to watch it, because I spent so much time pausing to make notes on my Henry VIII family tree, and checking to see which were the characters in a scene. (A lot of the characters who have almost no lines were still real people, and I wanted to figure out who they were.)

I enjoyed the series a lot, but I might have enjoyed it just as much if I had watched it through without interruptions....

9:56 PM, July 25, 2020  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter