Friday, October 19, 2007

It Was Twenty Years Ago Today

Twenty years ago the stock market dropped 508 points, which then represented over 20% of the Dow Jones Industrials' value.

I remember that day well. I was in downtown Chicago, going out to lunch, when I saw people gathered around a window where the Dow numbers were updated regularly. I didn't think it meant anything, but I noticed on the way back the crowd was still there.

I went up to the window and saw the numbers. I didn't know what to make of it, but I heard plenty of people talk about a new Depression. Of course, it turned out to be a hiccup, and by the end of the year the numbers were back to normal. It taught me a lesson to (at least try to) take the long view when it comes to the economy.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The article you linked to says,

Nearly half the Dow's loss happened in the last hour of trading.

I suppose that was probably the largest one-hour drop, then?

4:42 PM, October 20, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would guess so. It was some sort of line that had been crossed that caused automatic sell-offs. There were then lots of suggestions as to how to slow things down, which seemed silly to me. I suggested once we'd dropped 100 points, all selling be done by voice and no one could say more than one word every five seconds.

10:14 PM, October 20, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter