Friday, October 03, 2008

Taking The Initiative

I've got my official Voter Information Guide in the mail. California law mandates every voter receive one. I'd repeal that law if I could--the thing is over 140 pages long (with a supplement coming) and I bet less than 10% read it in any depth.

As always, the real action is in the initiatives. Most are just pet projects that one group or another have gotten on the ballot so they can get funds from the state. They have to make a real good argument for me to vote yes. Real good.

But we have a few other propositions that are pretty interesting.

For instance, we have one on animal welfare. We have one on parental notification. We have one on redistricting. And the big one, #8, a same-sex marriage prop.

In 2000. Californians voted by a large margin to define marriage as between a man and a woman. But not too long ago, the state Supreme Court allowed gay marrriage. So this proposition is to change the California Constitution to eliminate same-sex marriage.

I think the people who put this on the ballot figured it'd be an easy win, like last time. But I'd guess things have been changing, and they're going to be surprised.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter