Friday, January 08, 2010

Hang In There

Last year I read Artie Lange's book Too Fat To Fish. It's allegedly a humorous memoir, but many of the stories are horrific, talking about his drug problems that, over and over again, screwed up his life. So much, in fact, that when I was done I asked myself how is it this guy is still alive. (Many of his horror stories happened just a few blocks from where I write this--it made it really easy to visualize.)

I think he's done great work as Howard Stern's sidekick, and I'd hoped that being allowed to talk openly about his life every day might help exorcise his personal demons. Now he's tried to commit suicide by stabbing himself. Happily, he failed. I can only hope it's a sign he wants help; that if he really wanted to die, he would have used a gun.

I wonder how they'll treat this incident on the show (assuming Artie returns). Nothing is off limits, but this might be one bridge too far.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Todd said...

I haven't read the book, so I was pretty surprised to hear about this.

It seemed like the guy was really hitting his stride - a successful book, movies, an enviable day job - and a couple of very impressive appearances on talk shows, where he was quite entertaining. I thought he was on top of the world.

I guess that spot is only reserved for James Cameron.

Todd

7:41 AM, January 08, 2010  
Blogger LAGuy said...

Based on the book, I'd guess it's drug addiction which has dragged him down. He's come close to death more than once.

The guy's doing very well professionally, and has a great gig which, as far as I can tell, he loves. But no one ever knows what's going on. I heard a saying that the only truly happy people are people you don't know that well.

12:36 PM, January 08, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter