Thursday, January 07, 2010

Where's There Will Be Blood?

Here's a pretty interesting list of the most overrated films of the past ten years, and my comments:

10. The Departed

My only complaint is this should be higher on the list.

9. Little Miss Sunshine

Small, arty comedies always experience a backlash if they become big hits. Same happened to Sideways and Juno. "It's not that good." Little Miss Sunshine is plenty flawed, but I still like it.

8. In The Bedroom

The film did nothing for me.

7. Children Of Men

I thought this didn't make much sense.

6. Mystic River

Actively bad film.

5. No Country For Old Men

Quite good, with the very significant flaw of falling apart in the third act. Also, the Tommy Lee Jones character doesn't do anything. (I don't consider philosophizing about the themes of the film "doing something.")

4. Superbad

A delight when I saw it, and continues to be on subsequent viewings. Perhaps the best comedy of the past decade.

3. Crash

An Oscar winner with a serious backlash. Like, say, Forrest Gump, it's got a lot of problems, but what's good about it is pretty good.

2. Pan's Labyrinth

Made my top ten of the decade.

1. Lost In Translation

I don't get it. Boring and pointless.

3 Comments:

Blogger New England Guy said...

I have trouble with this list because its not so much whether the film is any good as whether other people thought it was better than it was. I enjoyed both Lost in Translation (pointlessness was the point and Scarlett is pretty and good music- I laugh [even more]every time I hear "Midnight at the Oasis"))and The Departed (actually saw them filming the pier scene from where my office was at the time and recognized alot of other landmarks and local political references so maybe I'm biased) but would never put either on any "best of" lists so I guess technically they could still be overrated. This list seems to a judgment on critics so strictly speaking there should be examples or the over-hyping or over-rating to test the validity

6:51 AM, January 07, 2010  
Anonymous Lawrence King said...

I too loved Pan's Labyrinth.

Bart only objection seems to be to the film's politics: the Left are heroes and the Right are monsters. I actually agree with Bart on the political point, but that doesn't make the movie any less excellent.

(Also, Bart is wrong on the date: the film is set well after the Civil War has ended, which is why the communists are just a few partisans living in the wilderness.)

11:55 PM, January 11, 2010  
Anonymous Lawrence King said...

oh, I guess Breitbart is one name, not a first and last name. Who knew?

11:56 PM, January 11, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter