Saturday, February 05, 2011

Guess Who's Coming To Supper

I saw some website complain about a play being put on where liberals invite conservatives to dinner and kill them.  I thought "hey, that sounds a lot like my friend Dan Rosen's movie The Last Supper."

Then I read an article about the controversy and noticed the play's title was actually The Last Supper.  Quite a coincidence.

Then I saw this piece in the A.V. Club that explained, indeed, it is based on the movie, and Dan himself wrote the adaptation. (I remember when he showed me the script.  I thought it could easily be adapted for the stage.  I should have told Dan then and saved him a lot of time.)

I'm not sure exactly why there's controversy.  While the play may be written from a liberal perspective, it's a black comedy, and no more condones murder than does Arsenic And Old Lace.

(Admittedly, the guy who wrote the piece in the A.V. Club doesn't quite get it.  He notes: "The play’s message of listening to people, instead of solely being invested in political rhetoric, couldn’t be timelier (see: the last two years)." Yes, because more than two years ago, when millions took to the streets to scream invective against George Bush, the tone of debate was so much higher.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter