Sunday, September 11, 2011

Where Were You?

I was in Las Vegas and ran into a friend.  She was there on business as an in-house lawyer for an alcohol company in Chicago.  Of course, it was a fun sort of business, and she invited me to a taco party at the Hard Rock that night which I happily attended.

We planned to meet the next day.  I woke up early, saw the news on TV and decided to drive straight back to LA.  No one knew exactly what was going on, of course, or if there was more to come.  Traffic was a mess, but the weirdest thing was no planes in the sky--by that time they'd all been grounded.

Once I got home I called my family (no cell, which wasn't that unusual back then).  The four planes had all been destined for LA, and no one was sure of the significance of that.

Then I called my friend to tell her I'd gone.  It turned out she was stuck there.  No planes, of course, and all the rental cars were already gone.

I spent the day at home, watching TV.  Everyone was wondering if the other shoe would drop, but LA was still open, at least.  Back in the '92 riots, I actually had trouble finding staples like bread and milk, and forget about gas.

The next day, everyone was still in shock.  I went to an outdoor cafe nearby.  A car drove over a steel plate and everyone look around to see what happened.  Even when I flew to Detroit the next month you could see the passengers were still on edge.

I remember reading Mickey Kaus around then. His theory was the news cycle goes much faster than it used to.  He figured we'd forget what happened--or at least realize it's just one story among many--before long.  I like Mickey, but that's got to be one of the worst calls ever.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe the significance of LA was that the fuel load was large. Of course any coastal city might have served.

6:51 AM, September 11, 2011  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not Mickey was wrong though he may have accelerated the timing. I have the feeling yesterday was somewhat like December 7, 1951 (though that was probably a much bigger deal given World War II was truly all-encompassing and all-consuming for four years and there were millions of veterans)

6:52 AM, September 12, 2011  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Re the 10th anniversary of December 7--apparently it was a total non-event. A pretty compelling explanation as to why:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111904900904576552352591755330.html

BTW, maybe I know the 50s too well, but I didn't have to strain at all to ID Alben Barkely and Lila and DeWitt Wallace.

2:55 PM, September 16, 2011  
Blogger LAGuy said...

The 10th anniversary of Pearl Harbor was very different because we'd fought a massive world war in between then and then had six years of cold war. We've had a ten year War on Terror, but the casualties and costs have been much lower.

I don't think one in a hundred could tell you who Barkley or Wallace are today. They'd probably figure they're both in sports.

2:38 AM, September 17, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter