Monday, February 12, 2018

Poortents

The Writers Guild handed out its awards last night, and I don't like what I'm seeing.  Not unlike the Oscars, there are some fine choices available, and some weak ones I wish they'd avoid.  The WGA didn't avoid them. (I'm talking about movies--no one cares about TV right now.)

The nominees for best original screenplay were The Big Sick, Get Out, I Tonya, Lady Bird and The Shape Of Water.  There were a few titles I wouldn't have minded seeing, but four of these five are good to great.  The only one that shouldn't be up there is Get Out, which was sort of fun, but overall shallow and silly.

Needless to say, Get Out won.

For best adapted screenplay, the choices were Call Me By Your Name, The Disaster Artist, Logan, Molly's Game and Mudbound.  Not as distinguished a list as that for original screenplay, but still pretty good.  The Disaster Artist, Logan and Molly's Game were all well done in their own way.  I was less impressed by Mudbound, but it was okay.  The only one I didn't like--it resulted in one of the most boring films of the year--was Call Me By Your Name.

Needless to say, Call Me By Your Name won.

The Oscars will be handed out in a few weeks.  I hope the voters snap out of it.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The theater I was in seemed to like Call Me By Your Name but not me- once you got past the somewhat novel subject- not much happens. The characters motivations seemed opaque and random. Except the dad- he just seemed really annoying and I was hoping he would get punched.

11:52 AM, February 12, 2018  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter